ROAD RESEARCH DEPARTMENT
The Department is headed by a Director. It is also the department of the Director-general/CEO, who is the most senior Officer in both Road and Building Research in the Institute.
Road Research Department has the mandate to conduct integrated research and development activities into all the varied aspects of the road construction industry and transport sector of the economy. The Department further provides consultancy services on professional, technical and scientific activities relating to roads, transportation and road construction industry to the public and private sectors.
2. Divisions and Sections
The Department has three Research Divisions, namely:
- Geotechnical and Environmental Division: this is made up of four sections.
- Geotechnical Engineering Section
- Terrain Evaluation Section
- Environmental Section
- Hydrology Section
- Road Materials, Design and Construction: section here include;
- Road Materials Section
- Road Design and Construction Section
- Road Safety Section
- Transportation Section
- Geology and Terrain Evaluation/GIS: this division has no sections
3. Road Research Laboratories
The Department has three operational standard laboratories namely: Soils Laboratory; Geotechnical Laboratory; and Terrain Evaluation/GIS Laboratory. These are manned by competent, qualified and experienced staff.
An Asphalt/Road Construction Material Testing and Research Laboratory have been established in the Administrative Headquarters, Abuja. Other similar Laboratory Models will be replicated in each of the six (6) Zonal Offices in the six geo-political zones in Nigeria.