The Science Laboratory and Technology Research Department has a Head of Department
The Science Laboratory and Technology Research Department was created in 2015 as one of the Technical Departments in NBRRI. It is uniquely and strategically saddled with the responsibility to articulate ideas aimed at developing, acquiring and maintaining facilities for capacity building, effective and efficient research and development activities geared towards actualizing institutional mandates. The Department is designed and is in the process of being equipped to provide requisite laboratory and applied sciences/mathematics support services to the entire research community in NBRRI.
The conceptualization and eventual establishment of the SLTRD came as part of the on-going drive to reposition NBRRI for effective discharge of her mandates. Over the years, the Institute have had to contend with many challenges, chief of which is the problem of poor research infrastructure for her R&D activities. Though it may seem that the Institute had been sufficiently resilient to those limitations, especially when the Institute’s achievements come under perspective; it is obvious however that a more robust research infrastructural support would have helped to unlock her full potentials after nearly 40 years of existence. This realization is what propelled us to establish a Research Department whose main focus will centre on developing both hardware and software tools that support R&D activities. With the establishment of the Department, it is hoped that requisite laboratory support services to the other Technical Departments of the Institute will be effectively and efficiently provided through the discharge of its assigned responsibilities. That goal clearly underscores the unique and strategic role the Department is designed to play in the effort to actualise the institutional mandates.
To evolve a robust research infrastructural base that can adequately provide the much needed laboratory and applied sciences/mathematics support services to the entire research community in NBRRI, for efficient and timely delivery of institutional mandates.
The mission of SLTRD is to offer services such as installation, maintenance, repairs and development of test equipment, laboratory tests of building, road and engineering material samples, and interpretation of test results. It is also to design and develop scientific, mathematical and computer models/application that supports relevant R&D tasks in the Building and Road construction industry.
- To House critical facilities that supports various R & D tasks in the field of building, road and engineering materials research.
- To conduct necessary laboratory tests of material samples and offers assistance in interpretation of tests results when needed.
- To assist in product development and process technology evaluation for improved performance.
- To design and develop relevant equipment for various R&D tasks.
- To provide technical inputs in the purchase of new R&D equipment.
- To assist in the installation, calibration, maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs of R & D equipment.
- To design and develop scientific, mathematical and computer models/applications that support relevant R&D tasks in the Building and Road construction industry.
4. Division and Section
The Department has the following Divisions with their accompanying Sections:
- Laboratory Infrastructure Division
Analytical and Process Laboratory Section
Instrumentation Laboratory Section
- Technology Research Division
Instrumentation Research Section