Integrated R&D, Capacity Building and robust Extension Services in which technological innovations and knowledge-based practices in the fields of Building, Road and Engineering Materials will be used to provide adequate and affordable housing and road infrastructure as well as increased economic empowerment.
To evolve and use a comprehensive and integrated approach in appropriate technology development and transfer, sustainable capacity building and investment promotion so as to foster the application of environment-friendly and energy-efficient innovative construction materials, manufacturing technologies and cost-effective building and road construction practices which will enhance job creation, wealth generation and poverty reduction as well as nurture the emergence of vibrant, knowledge-based and highly competitive indigenous construction companies capable of meeting global standards.
NBRRI was established to conduct integrated applied Research and Development into the various aspects of the building and construction sectors of the economy. The mandate was later in 1993 expanded to include R&D into all aspects of Engineering Materials related to the construction industry. In the Act setting up of NBRRI, she is required to conduct research on:
- Local building and construction materials to determine the most effective and economic methods of their utilization.
- Architectural design of buildings to suit Nigerian climatic conditions with respect to lighting, ventilation, thermal comfort and humidity.
- The design and performance of functional units in buildings including electrical installations, plumbing, painting, drainage, ventilation and air-conditioning system.
- Local construction, foundation and earth-works for buildings and bridges, especially on problem soils.
- Local construction and building operations and methods, to increase their effectiveness
- The design and construction of roads best suited to the Nigerian environment.
- The economic and social aspects of the building and construction industry.
- Road safety including the occurrence of accidents and methods of reducing the number of accidents.
- The economic and social aspects of road and transportation schemes, accidents and safety measures.
- Structural designs of buildings and bridges and the development of design criteria, specifications and codes of practice.
- All classes of engineering materials – metals, ceramics, polymers, etc., including the systems for their conversion and processing, materials production/synthesis, materials development, materials availability, processing and applications, materials failure analysis and prevention, corrosion protection and foundry technology.
In addition, the Institute provides:
- Consultancy services relating to Building, Road and Engineering Materials to individuals, public and private organizations.
- Specialist support services to medium and small-scale enterprises in the areas of training, testing and evaluation of products, materials characterization, materials selection (specification), feasibility study, materials information services, enhancement of product quality and market potential.